Coming up in October in Monrovia (Thanks to Becky Shevlin for allowing me to draw from her excellent calendar):
- Monrovia Historian Steve Baker will lead two tours of Live Oak Memorial Cemetery (200 E. Duarte Rd.), with stories about the first settlers who now rest in the cemetery. Fee includes tour and dinner by La Adelita. Reservations close on October 5 or when filled. Tours are on Thursday, October 15, and Thursday, October 22, both from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Cost is $12, which includes food/beverages.
- Monrovia Chamber of Commerce is looking for nominees for its annual awards: The Iris Award, equivalent to Citizen of the Year; the Monroe Award for Business Person of the year; and the Dick Lord Award for outstanding service to the Chamber of Commerce. To nominate someone, contact the Chamber at 358-1159 for information and forms. Nominations close on Thursday, October 15.
- Sunday, Oct. 11 - Celebration of Life Open House for Kristin Mariconda at the Historic Museum 742 E. Lemon Ave, 2-6 p.m.. Special Address at approximately 3 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made in memory of Kris to the Monrovia Historical Museum or Monrovia Reads; PO Box 1033, Monrovia, CA 91017.
- Thursday, Oct. 15 - Monrovia Providers Group Care Cafe at Monrovia Community Center, 119 W Palm Ave. For people with disabilities or memory loss and their care partners; $5; 9:30 am.-1 p.m. For information contact Rebecca at the Community Center, 256-8232 or http://www.monroviaproviders.org
- Sunday, Oct. 18 - Monrovia Kiwanis Presents "A Taste of Old Town" in Old Town Monrovia. 5-8 pm; $50 in advance; $60 at the door. Go to http://www.TasteMonrovia.com for more information.
- Saturday, Oct. 24 - Volunteer Center of San Gabriel Valley presents the 25th Annual "Make a Difference Day, A National Day of Doing Good," beginning at 8 a.m. at Library Park Band Shell. For more information, call 256-8187 or go here: http://goo.gl/jd6xQy
- Saturday, Oct. 31, Halloween - The City of Monrovia Department of Community Services hosts a "Halloween Bash" in Library Park from 3-6 p.m. Free costume contest. Costume Contest registration begins at 3 pm. For more information, call the Public Services Dept. at 256-8246.
- Brad Haugaard