News:   •  Restaurants   •  Library Catalog   •  Library Activities  •  History   •  Facebook / X/Twitter / RSS

Lessons from Monrovia House Fire

The Monrovia Fire Department's report in City Manager Scott Ochoa's weekly report calls the smoke-inhalation death of a woman in a cluttered Magnolia Avenue home ...

"a stark reminder to maintain clear spacing around all appliances, space heaters, water heaters, ovens and stoves to prevent the combustion of material. It is also a reminder that it doesn't take a large or explosive fire to take a life. The fact is, most fatalities occur as a result of smoke and heated gas inhalation, not burns. Properly working smoke detectors and having an escape plan with at least two routes out of your home is critical. Finally, never try to self-extinguish fires. Once a smoke detector activates or smoke is visible, stay low to the ground and exit the structure following your escape route plan."


- Brad Haugaard

No comments:

Post a Comment