In his weekly report ( http://goo.gl/9PM1Tj ), City Manager Oliver Chi ...
- Described city preparations in light of the terrorist attack in San Bernardino:
* Monrovia is part of a regional tactical response team called FSET, kinda like a SWAT team.
* Police participate in annual tactical training.
* The Community Policing bureau is "a resource of intelligence information from our citizens who may see suspicious activity."
* Police "provide extra patrol to both of the [Monrovia] mosques to try to deter any criminal hate crimes at those locations."
- The water main that broke on Ridgeside Drive near Canyon Boulevard on Christmas Day was a nearly 70-year-old 8-inch main. "It was important that we had to get the pipe repaired as soon as possible, because without that pipe functioning, the Emerson Reservoir would have run out of water within a day. And if the Emerson Reservoir ran out of water, a large segment of the community would be left without water service." Comment: Thanks indeed to the city crew that fixed it.
- Sandbag Saturday, from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Jan. 9 at Recreation Park, "will assist residents with filling sandbags, provide demonstrations on how to properly build sandbag debris walls, and educate on additional ways to best to prepare for the El Nino storms." Also, the city has scheduled two El Nino prep classes at 6 p.m. in the Library Community Room: Tuesday, Jan. 5, and Thursday, Jan. 21.
- Brad Haugaard